I’m a two-time colon cancer survivor first diagnosed at age 17. Each day I navigate the world of being a 30-something millennial that’s survived cancer for over a decade. My love of cookies, adventures of parenting a biracial adopted child and romance with my high school sweetheart-turned-husband give me plenty of stories to share.
My faith is the fuel that powers me to write.
I started blogging in 2009 after my second colon cancer diagnosis. The blog didn’t only serve as (free) therapy, it led me to many opportunities to write and speak.
I am passionate about sharing my story, each time I do I heal a little bit more.
My personal story has been told around the world through syndicated online and print newspaper articles, blogs, the 2009 Colondar and on numerous TV and radio shows, including The Today Show, BBC’s ‘World Have Your Say’, Sirius Radio’s Doctor Radio, The Chicago Tribune, among others.
While I love to travel and share my story, as well as capture the stories of others, I absolutely love being in my hometown of Kansas City and hanging with my family, rocking on my 1920’s-era front porch and working on my latest blog post and devotional.
In addition to this blog, you can find me contributing to these websites:
I’ve also had the following blogs and articles published:
- Focus on the Family Magazine Feb/ March 2018: “Don’t Be Afraid of the Birth Family“
- Cook For Your Life – “Food Break-Ups: How I Learned to Manage My Side Effects“
- the SamFund – “Learning to be Me. Not Cancer“
- Scope Blog by Standford Medicine – “Let Symptoms Not Age Influence Treatment“
I’m a contributing devotional author in these publications:
A list of events where I’ve shared my personal story and/or presented on colorectal cancer:
- Early-Age Onset Colorectal Cancer Symposium – NYC
- The Avenue Church women’s retreat – KCMO
- March Against Colon Cancer walk – Overland Park, KS
- Mayo Clinic’s Social Media Week – Rochester, Minn.
- Crawl the Colon event – KCMO
- Mercy Hospital Workplace Wellness event – Springfield, Mo.
If you’d like me to guest blog or speak at your event please contact me with details.